Saturday, March 23, 2013

Update on Hubby

I always thought men were horrible at being patients - at least my husband usually is- but he has breezed through this surgery.  I am so surprised!  No complaining and no grumblings!  Amazing!  Now he is not ready to run any marathons and has been quieter than normal - but he is doing okay.  He has not had any prescription pain meds since leaving the hospital.  I have the Children's Chewable Tylenol - I took 3 at a time when I was recovering - but he has hardly had any.  He slept on his side the first night home from the hospital - no problems getting in and out of bed.

Yesterday I took him to our internist for a post-op appointment.  He had been on 3 diabetic medications and 3 high blood pressure meds - the doctor took him off of half of the medications already!  Pretty exciting.  And he's down 11 pounds since surgery - about 23 with the pre-op diet.

And about that pre-op diet which was supposed to be a light breakfast, one meal with a lean protein and two green veggies, and two protein shakes - that is not what he did.  He basically did a high protein- low fat - low carb diet.  He is Type II Diabetic.  We laughed when the surgeon told us his liver looked great - when hubby confessed his version of the pre-op diet - the surgeon said whatever he did worked - his liver looked great.

Of course he is already tired of the Isopure - think we are going to have some leftover Isopure bottles for sale!!  He's eating jello, some Unjury chicken soup, chicken broth, etc.  He's planning on going back to work on Monday - my only concern is his commute - an hour both ways to work.  His job is a desk job so he'll be fine with that.  Next week he starts on pureed food - I've gotten the Bento lunch box for him and we will load it up with his food to take with him.

I'm so glad surgery is over for both of us and everything went well.  God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment