Thursday, March 7, 2013

Introductions


SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 10, 2013

Introductions....
Let me introduce myself- I'm a mom whose struggled with her weight all her life. I really didn't start seriously putting on weight until my 30's- and now at 54 - I'm considered morbidly obese (hate that term) & have high blood pressure.  My husband & I love to go out to eat and also cook good meals. We are now empty nesters- oldest son is out of college & working - yeah! Youngest son is a junior in college. I'm trying to figure out what to do with this next stage of my life after being a stay-at-home mom who was a professional volunteer at school & the kids activities. ( When I found myself in charge of the concession stand for the high school baseball team one year - I knew I had a serious problem with my volunteer activities!- that should be a whole discussion for another blog!)


In 2007 while working at the high school baseball concession stand- I began to have some chest discomfort- after a long uncomfortable night - went to doctor & then hospital and finally found out I was having a heart attack- I was 49 and had lost 30 lbs that year & exercising. (Also another blog about that experience coming). I had a heart cath & a stent put in and immediately felt better. My diet was definitely heart healthy for the next six months- couldn't even stand watching someone put butter on their bread in front of me. Unfortunately, I must have a short memory because I gradually went back to my old way of eating and have since gained around 50 lbs.

My internist hurt my feelings this past spring when he mentioned weight loss surgery to me after watching me gain and lose 20 or so pounds every year. I went home and did a little investigating and promptly decided it wasn't for me. My 90 year old mother had a stroke and broke her femur this past summer which resulted in lots of stress-related eating for me and 20 lbs ( Can't I blame my weight gain on my mother??) . And she's still a stressful situation as she recuperates!! (Another blog- dealing with aging parents)

At my yearly check-up with my internist in November - this time I listened to him when he suggested weight loss surgery as a "tool" to help me with weight since I was not being successful keeping weight off. He went into detail about each WLS surgery and thought the gastric-sleeve was a great option for me. He also is not affiliated with any doctor or facility and was not financially gaining from this surgery in any way. Good man- has helped our family through many health issues for the past 17 years- in other words- I trust his advice.  So I went home with an open mind and started researching the gastric sleeve and discussing with my husband.

My dear hubby is also a big part of this equation. He's a big guy who our doctor has been trying to talk into WLS surgery for many years. He's Type 2 diabetic and also has high blood pressure.  After his annual physical with our internist in January, he came home and said, " Let's do this weight loss surgery- it's time!"

So off I go investigating the gastric sleeve or vertical sleeve surgery and doctors! I'm going to try and blog about this journey. I'm scared and excited at the same time! I feel like maybe it's time for this butterfly to come out of her cocoon and try her new wings and dream some new dreams- join me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment