Thursday, March 7, 2013

Salt is My Friend Today?????




WEDNESDAY, MARCH 6, 2013


I've been battling low blood pressure these past couple of days after being on high blood pressure medicine for probably the past twenty years.  I have absolutely no energy.  Today I went to see my internist for my post-op appointment and brought him my blood pressure readings.  When I was scared Friday & Saturday when my blood pressure was higher and I kept taking medicine - he said that was nothing.  He did change my medication - no longer on my main high blood pressure medication.  Because I have heart disease, I'm still on Plavix, Simvastatin, and Metropropol (which does affect my blood pressure).  I'll wait to add the daily aspirin until I'm on full foods.

What shocked me was when he told me that I needed some salt (today) in my diet and to get some carb calories in for energy.  Since I just started pureed foods at one week out, I'm still scared to eat much.  Yesterday I pulverized some chicken with some chicken broth and ate a 1/4 cup.  Pretty gross.  Had some cream of wheat - no taste and really no nutritional value.  I'm getting my protein in from shakes and greek yogurt.  So I went to our local Luby's and got a LuAnn plate with baked fish and mashed potatoes - no roll.  I tried to eat maybe an ounce of the fish mashed (none of the toppings) and 1/4 cup of mashed potatoes with salt! Got almost all of that in until I started to feel a little uncomfortable - I'm new at this sleeve business so I don't know how much I can really eat yet.  Yes - those mashed potatoes tasted wonderful - in MY Fitness Pal they were 69 calories 6.3 carbs and 1.4 grams of protein.  Ok - fat was 4.6 grams.  I'm having the same for dinner - with SALT !

I know I won't be eating salt for long as my blood pressure stabilizes but it really made me feel better.  So strange to hear a doctor tell a fat person to eat salt!!!  Oh - I had lost 10 pounds since my visit to see him the week before surgery!!  Yeah!!!

Hopefully my energy will come back this week so I can get some exercise in - more than walking around my house each hour!  What a journey this is!!

No comments:

Post a Comment