Thursday, March 7, 2013

Day of VSG Surgery finally here!


My surgery date was Monday, February 25th.  My surgeon actually called me on Sunday to tell me to eat light that day, nothing after 5 pm but clear liquids and nothing after midnight. He also wanted to go over my medications and any questions I had - wow - the call was unexpected and so nice!

My surgery was the night before the Academy Awards!  Thank goodness I love the Oscars as that helped keep my mind occupied instead of being too nervous about the surgery.  My friends and I were texting back and forth about the dresses, awards, etc. that made the night fun as it could be!  I did get some sleep that night.

I had to be at the hospital at 8 am for a 10:15 surgery.  As soon as I got back into the room to change into a hospital gown, they were already calling for me in pre-op.  I quickly told my husband goodbye - thought I was going to be way ahead of schedule - but oh no - I spent 45 minutes to an hour in the pre-op waiting dock.  They gave me some headphones to listen to music - I would rather have had valium but no anxiety meds until I met with anesthesiologist.  I told the anesthesiologist how I had been nausated with all past surgeries so to give me all the good drugs he could.  The surgeon came by and talked to me also.

Last thing I remembered was being taken back to the operating room and transferring to the operating table - nothing after that - no counting backwards etc.  When I woke up - no nausea - YEAH! - they asked me about pain - I told them a 5 - started getting pain meds- was moved to a room a couple of hours later.  (I think).

I was shocked about the pain levels - more soreness than actual hurting.  I've had two C-sections to compare this to - I was just uncomfortable.  I was given a pump to control my pain - I thought I was hitting the button pretty often because I like to stay ahead of the pain - but the surgeon said I didn't really use a whole lot of pain medication.

Later that day I got ice chips, sat in a chair, walked around the nurses station a few times and went to the bathroom.  I sent my husband home around 6:30 that night cause I knew I was just going to sleep. A successful day that will hopefully get me on a healthy path of life!!! Not as bad as I anticipated!


No comments:

Post a Comment