Thursday, March 7, 2013

Pre-op Diet


Okay, I started the pre-op diet Feb 11th two weeks before my surgery date of Feb 25th.  My surgeon has an easier pre-op diet - a light breakfast of either cereal, toast, fruit, oatmeal, egg, then another meal of a lean protein with two green veggies, then two protein shake or protein mixed in greek yogurt.  No white stuff or fats.

I've noticed that every time in the past when I've started a diet and detoxing off of sugar - I always seem to have diarrhea.  I also have irritable bowl syndrome.  So long story short, had lots of diarrhea that first week.  I stayed really busy so I wouldn't be tempted by eating snacks.  I liked my shakes - I used the GNC Total Lean ready made Vanilla Bean & Swiss Chocolate shakes that I liked a lot.

I started getting lightheaded after 6-7 days on the diet - checked my blood pressure and it was on the low side (I'm on medication) .  The diarrhea wasn't as bad the second week.  So I closely started documenting my blood pressure and saw my internist- pretty incredible that I basically stopped taking BP meds after one week on the diet.  He wanted me to take half a pill when the top number was over 160 - I think I did twice - and keep documenting the numbers.  Guess my diet before was full of processed foods and salt to have my blood pressure affected so quickly!!

The countdown is on to the surgery!! I can do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment