Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Happy Birthday to Me!!

Well - today is my 55th birthday!  Can't believe I'm this old!  For the first time in a long time, I'm really excited about the new direction my life is taking - all because of the VSG surgery!  I have HOPE that I can finally get this weight off that has been a part of my life for so long.  I'm 5 weeks post-op and with the two week pre-op diet, I've been eating right for 7 weeks - and I'm down 25-26 pounds!!  Usually at this point in a diet, I start getting discouraged because the weight always comes off slowly- I'm averaging 3.7 lbs a week.  I just had to do that math because I had a 16 day stall, lost 2 1/2 pounds 2 weeks ago, and about 2 pounds last week.  That felt really slow to me but to see 3.7 lbs average is really exciting for me!

This is the first Easter ever that I did not have a bite of something sweet ever - the pastel malted milk eggs are one of my favorite candies ever - not a bite.  This time of year is always hard when I got started on my  usual January diet with first the Super Bowl, then Girl Scout Cookies, Valentine's Day, then Easter.  On every other diet I've done, I've always given in to a little bit of temptation on these days- right now I'm so strong because I'm scared to start with the sweets as it might put me over the edge.  I'm also scared to eat anything off plan because of how my sleeve will react.  Wow - now I've got to work on my head because I know next year my resolve won't be as strong.  

My husband is doing great three weeks post-op - the weight is falling off of him!  He's losing 2 lbs to my every 1/2 lb!  And he's feeling better than he has in a long time.  He probably has more energy than me.  I'm so grateful we are doing this together - makes our small meal planning kinda fun.  We've been packing his lunch every day with yogurt, applesauce, turkey roll-ups, & soup.  That has been working out well - he was used to getting fast food almost every day for lunch (which he loves).  

Now I'm off to celebrate with friends - lunch then Casablanca on the big screen. My husband and I decided not to go out to eat tonight (we would usually go for a nice steak dinner to celebrate) but I think we are going to have some cocktail shrimp for dinner.  I've looked at the restaurant menu where I'm going to lunch today and I'm ordering a chicken dinner.  Can't wait until I can eat salad again - and I can't believe I'm saying that!  

Feeling very encouraged about life - it's going to be a great year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment