Monday, August 26, 2013

Struggling at 6 Months out!


I am thrilled I had my surgery 6 months ago today!  I'm a little past halfway where I want to be - 56 pounds down.  Just wanted to let everybody know who is starting out or looking into the gastric sleeve that you DO have to stick with the program  - the weight does not continue to fall off without you working hard to stay on track.  Even if you aren't eating as many calories as you used too - it's still work - can't halfway do this and expect too lose weight.

I was doing great until I hit a bump in the road with some family problems - we all have them - that's life.  During this time - I was traveling & not totally staying on program and was thrilled with a 13 pound weight loss during a 6 week period of stress.  Now that the problem is resolved and I'm back at home - getting back on track has been hard - also dealing with emotional issues from the family problems.

Every Monday I would say - this is the day I'm going to get back to recording everything in My Fitness Pal, eat totally on plan, etc.  For a 3 week period I only saw a loss of 1/2 pound a week - I know I was eating too many calories but quit entering into MFP when I knew I wasn't eating right - bad habits coming back.

I also started working out 3 times a week with a new trainer.  This past week I've FINALLY gotten there - back on track recording my food & have lost 2 pounds this week.  Recording your food makes all the difference in the world.  Went back to some protein shakes for a couple of meals, lots of liquid - no carbs for a few days, and strict on calorie counts.

I'm totally struggling with emotional eating at night - just because we have this surgery does not mean that the emotional eating issues go away - they must be dwelt with.  I am planning a snack at night to help me.  I find myself wanting the crunch - was loving Blue Diamond Nut Crackers - you can have a bunch for 130 calories but these were not good for me - triggered my carb impulses so no more.

This isn't easy - going to happy hour with my friends and I'm ordering iced tea and a shrimp ****tail if they order food so I don't eat the pizza & other appetizers they order.  It's not the end of the world that I'm eating a delicious shrimp ****tail but I'd still rather be eating the pizza.

I still wouldn't trade this experience for anything in the world - just wanted to point out that the program works when we follow it - high protein, lots of water, low carb, exercise and recording your food.  Not impossible to do but easy to get off track and slow down the weight loss.  I don't want to be one of those who quits losing weight after 6 months.  I have to deal with my emotional eating issues - UGH!



   

No comments:

Post a Comment